6A Identifying Opportunities in Economic and Regulatory Trends


1.  I found this economic opportunity from the Washington Post in economics. "Federal government lifts restrictions on higher ethanol blends of gasoline."
The Trump administration lifted restrictions on the sale of high ethanol blends of gasoline that the Obama administration pushed for. Farmers have suffered from the trade war with China from this, but also this brought a legal challenge to the oil industry for better ethanol blends of gasoline. The Obama administration put restrictions on this ethanol (E15) because it hurt growers so they limited the demand for corn-based fuel. Apparently this sets a step back for the oil industry because biofuels are its competition. The re-introduction of E15 leads me to believe that there's an opportunity for biofuels. The customer to be most likely with the opportunity would be farmers, gasoline companies, and consumers. I believe this opportunity is smacked in the middle. It can be relatively easy and difficult. Because it depends what audience you are trying to go for. I've always been a science girl since I was young which is why I see this as an opportunity for growth in the biofuels industry. If everyone purchases them it would end up being cheaper and it's better for the environment as well. This would benefit a lot and some others don't realize it.

2. I found this economic opportunity from The Economist in finance and economics. "Ubers listing and new stock exchange may herald change."
This information leads me to find an opportunity that suggests giving a boost to fresh thinking on how fast growing start ups should go public (stated in the article.) This line says it all about opportunity. The most likely customer with the opportunity would be trading investors and shareholders. I find the opportunity a little bit difficult to exploit. Just because this opportunity can mostly benefit a small minority. I formed this belief because I saw potential in it from another point of view. The opportunity for trading investors and shareholders.

3. I found this regulatory opportunity on Regulations.gov. "Application to Export Electric Energy: Northland Power Energy Marketing (US) Inc."
This information leads me to find an opportunity that suggests making more money and being cheaper for civilians to trade electric energy from the United States to Canada. The most likely customer with the opportunity would be the Northland Power Energy Marketing consumers, normal families and businesses. I find this to be an amazing and not too difficult opportunity to exploit. I want to work in energy corporations when I'm older so reading about this made me fascinated, which is how I formed this belief.

4. I found this regulatory opportunity on Regulations.gov "Public Draft of the Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices."
This information leads me to find an opportunity that suggests written comments on an extended deadline for a administrative manual. The most likely customer with the opportunity would be whoever is reading the Compendium of U.S. Copyright Office Practices, Third Edition. This extension would give the readers the most valuable information and without it they could miss something. This is an extremely easy opportunity to exploit. What made me form this belief is just thinking how the deadline would benefit the greater good more because knowledge is power.

Comments

  1. Hey Jennifer,
    I found your regulatory and economic opportunities very interesting! I was not aware of any of these potential opportunities until I read your blog, which is super cool. I agree with what you wrote for each of your opportunities and their prototypical customers, especially your first one about biofuel, I think there is a huge opportunity that might be easily achievable, and also benefitting the quality of oils and fuels that we have here in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment